Shonda credits one comment from her sister for changing her life: "You never say, 'yes' to anything." Those six words led to her undertaking a mission of saying, "yes." Already a success from creating the likes of Grey's Anatomy and Scandal, Rhimes' story might sound unrelatable. But with a passionate and funny voice, Year of Yes offers the inspiration you may need to take your business to the next level!
Inspiration and Advice From Over 100 Makers, Artists, and Entrepreneurs by Grace Bonney. This collection of interviews offers a portrait of women pioneers in creative entrepreneurship. Instead of a how-to guide, Bonney has curated In the Company of Women to inspire and uplift us. You'll find insightful thoughts and common threads that run through the experiences of successful women business owners.
How I Turned $1,000 Into a Billion Dollar Business is penned by Barbara Corcoran, known for her female swagger and financial prowess on Shark Tank. Barbara intends to create a World Wide Branding Company geared to help every woman succeed. Candidly revealing all her failures, she uses Shark Tales to highlight how she grew her business from nothing. Then, with a healthy dose of memoir-style introspection, the way I guide most of my authors to craft their books, she delivers advice in an engaging and easy-to-read manner.
Culture, Inclusion, and Contribution by Juana Bordas. Considering that one-third of the U.S. population will be Hispanic in 30 years, Juana Bordas explores their unique leadership methods. Unlike other communities, Latinx people consist of different ethnicities, nationalities, and races. As such, they lead with social responsibility in an inclusive and people-oriented way. The Power of Latino Leadership explores the ten principles to guide successful leaders of all cultures and backgrounds.
Finding Magic in the Unknown is by Meera Lee Patel. A work in self-reflection and self-help, My Friend Fear guides readers through a journey of embracing fear. This collection of art journal entries asserts that fear is the key to opportunity and change. Finding your inner potential will lead to limitless potential on your career path. Authors working with me would notice a similarity in that I teach that when you find your Kryptonite (resistance) blocking your way, it's like an arrow pointing at your superpower!
How I Built a $100 Million Business Against the Odds is the story of Australian native Raegan Moya-Jones, who in three years went from working mom to the founder of a household brand, "aden + anais." What It Takes proves that success does not depend on Ivy League degrees or friends in the right places. Instead, success grows from trusting your gut and following your dreams. "What It Takes" is an excellent fit for the established female entrepreneur and start-up alike.
Becoming Empowered, Self-Reliant, and Rich in Every Way by Nely Galan. With a foreword by financial guru Suze Orman, Self Made is part of Galan's mission to empower women. This book holds the key to financial freedom, filled with inspiring stories, interactive exercises, and unique tips and tricks. "When you become self-made, the change in you inspires change in those around you because one of the greatest rewards of a self-made life is seeing how the sparks from your personal revolution can light a fire in others." –Nely Galan
A Guide to Avoid Business Pitfalls and Unlock the Secrets of Entrepreneurship by Rochelle Graham-Campbell. As a waitress with $100 of tips in her pocket, Rochelle built a beauty brand in every major retailer across 22 countries. In this no-nonsense guide, 90 Days to C.E.O. reveals the steps and insight that lead to her success. Breaking down her business mindset, she reveals her formula of hustle, self-care, and purpose.
The Ultimate Guide to Running a Successful Freelance Business by Meg Mateo Ilasco & Joy Deangdeelert Cho. These freelancing pros offer the insights creatives need to build successful brands and businesses. Creative, Inc. is an easy-to-digest guide for right-brained women entrepreneurs, covering everything from the legal establishment to pricing and licensing.
1. AFTER LIFE- (Netflix) Very Ricky Gervais, if you know what I mean. Dark Humor, disturbing to more sensitive souls. Painfully human in the extreme, but so well done. Watch for his talks in the cemetery. circa 2019
2. YOU- (Netflix) Freaks me out to watch it, but it is so train-wreck-good I can't stop. Fascinating how well he gets to know his "clients" and yet how wrong it all goes.
3. MAID- (Netflix) Angst-ridden with a heart-tugging message, uplifting in the end.
4. HISTORY 101- (Netflix) Plenty of seldom if ever seen archival footage, stackable history lessons: scientific breakthroughs, social movements, and world-changing discoveries.
5. SWEET MAGNOLIAS- (Netflix) Heartfelt, emotional, slightly soapy- perfect!
6. FATHER CHRISTMAS IS BACK- (Netflix) A twisted-sister-holiday film with Kelsey Grammer and John Cleese added for comedic perfection!
7. LAST CHRISTMAS- (Netflix) a Rom-Com with a twist, Emelia Clark finally cast in a comedy!
8. GREAT BRITISH MENU- (Prime) Twelve Seasons of peak-performing chefs making mind-boggling food in competition. Rather snitty personalities in the beginning, but that dynamic improves, eventually.
9. SALT FAT ACID HEAT- (Netflix) Appeals to both home & pro cooks. I love this short series and consistently get positive feedback from every recommendation I make.
Well, that's it from me for the rest of this month! (I think!) I'm making time for myself, and I hope you are too!
What looks good to you, or are you already into a good read? What are some of your favorite books or binges? I'm starting a new list, and I am open to new possibilities! xx judy
PS- Reach out. I'm still reading email, [email protected]